Help needed with freezing

I have two consoles that are giving me freezing issues after choosing Cerbios from the OS menu. A 1.0 and a 1.1 revision. Both have 128mb RAM and HD+ with open xenium running PrometheOS 1.3.0. Prometheos seems to have no issue operating for an hour or more and temps stay under or around 40. At no point does it seem like a heat issue and once, I was able to play Halo 2 for an hour or so, but only once. 

Here’s what I’ve tried so far…

Every software version on the HD+ to rule out incompatibility with certain ones. It doesn’t make a difference.

Xenium OS And All versions of Prometheos.

Three different HDDs built with fatxplorer as well as the newest Cerbios installer disc. (They all work flawlessly on different consoles, with no freezing)

UnleashX, XBMC4Gamers, and Emustation (All current releases)

Different, brand new, 80 wire cables. (Also flipping the ends around) 

This is driving me crazy. Everything was installed by Redherring32 and looks great. 

Edit: Mods, please move this if it’s in the wrong place. 

Edited by MadMartigan

Is the console freezing with m8 patched for hd+? Or only with cerbios?

edit: can it be this problem for the 1.0console? 

Edit 2: if you try m8plus patched, test with the 128mb ram version. Just to rule out bad extra ram install/sticks.  

Posted (edited)

Can’t get the patched M8 to even load now. Hangs on black screen after flubber. Assumed it was the dash so I reinstalled Evox from the cerb disc, but still blank. I am now getting random freezing on PrometheOS which is very rare, but it did just happen. Makes me lean more towards a ram issue or something. 

The post you linked has nothing similar to my issue, from what I can tell. 

Edit: I’m not familiar with what I need to do for the 128mb version. Can I patch that as well? I’m more than willing to start over from scratch if you have a suspicion that something isn’t configure right. 

Edited by MadMartigan

Posted (edited)

Update: Got M8 patched to finally load into XBMC and was able to update through the downloader. It does seem to be handling things better, but I’m going to let it run for a while to see if it locks up. A step in the right direction at least. I still want to figure out why Cerbios is having troubles. 

Edited by MadMartigan

Now you're booted into dash, does xbmc detect the full ram (128mb) if yes, can you try to boot a 128mb only homebrew game? like one of the chihiro games to verify that the console can use the full 128mb? 

Im also leaning towards a ram issue, as cerbios using the full 128mb

XblastOS can give a good test even if the ram is installed bad, I had this once to, resulting in the same like you, an unstable system. I did fix this by reflowing the ram (I had no visible shorts and all legs seemed ok). Now the system runs fine. 

In your case, you did pay for the installation so the best you can do is contact the installer.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Dempsey_86 said:

I think your m8 bios does not use the upper memory, probably not patched correctly. It only sees the first 64mb ram. What does xbmc say about ram use?

After a reflow, XBMC4Gamers shows 90mb free and seems to be working better🤞🏻. I’ve been playing Halo 2 for about 20 mins. I will reflow the second board tomorrow and see how it goes. This whole time, PrometheOS has shown 113mb free which I found weird. I don’t know how the OS ram detection differentiates from in bios though. 

Edit: Forgot to mention that Virtua Cop 3 still wouldn’t boot. I guess it’s possible I don’t have something installed correctly. I held X and pressed start to initiate the ram hack, but it just hangs at the pic I showed above. 

Edited by MadMartigan
More information

Posted (edited)

I reflowed the second board after breakfast and it is also running Cerbios smoothly now. First one ran for about two hours last night with not one freeze. Second one is going through the paces now. So far, so good. 

To recap, they’re both now showing 90-93mb free within XBMC through Cerbios. I will look more into the Chihiro games later as that seems to be the final boss for RAM testing. Would that be correct? 

Edited by MadMartigan
Cleaned up

Great news

Yes that free ram in xbmc seems correct. 

Yes to test the 128mb ram you can test with these 3 sega games or with half life 128mb edition. 
(I never tested the sega games on a hd+, so not sure if they work or not)

Yes, excellent news. I was trying everything I could think of as well as suggestions from lots of folks. Thank you for actually taking the time to help figure this out. I shouldn't have just assumed everything was running properly after the initial install. Lesson learned. 

Now to look into the 128mb patched Half Life

• Like 1